Old 17-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Ed Dente

Default Mesquite Trees

Hi,
I have a few mesquite trees in 8" pots that I started from seed last year. I know that's
unusual, but it's a small way to have a little bit of the southwest here in Boston.
They are now a year old, and about 1.3 feet tall.
Here's my question. Each has five or six branches emanating from the central stem, and
they are a little rangy. If I were to cut the branches back maybe halfway on each, would
the trees be likely to become bushier, or would it be harmful to them?
Is there such a thing as bonsai mesquite? (Only half joking.)
If pruning or cutting back is good, is this, just before what I would guess might be a
dormant period, the right time to do so?
Thanks for any thoughts on this,
Ed