Old 17-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Derek Broughton

Claudia wrote:

I am a suburbanish newbie ponder. The closest "wild" water is 4 blocks
away
over major streets. WHERE did the frog staring at me - as in eye level-
on
my screen door come from tonight? And then when I didn't let him in the
house, but shut the slider - WHERE did he go to? No frog sounds, totally
surprise.

Four blocks is nothing :-) Most of the tree frogs don't spend much time
near water (and when you see him at eye-level, it's unlikely he's anything
else), but even true frogs can go great distances from water. Leopard
frogs are also known as "meadow frogs" because you can easily find them two
kilometers from the nearest water. Bull & Green frogs spend more time in
water, but could still find your pond from that sort of distance.
--
derek