Old 17-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Rod

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:55:18 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Digging up my blighted potatoe patch I find that only about 1/3 are
obviously affected .

Is it safe to eat those which appear to be free of the blight ?

If they appear free of blight. then they are free of blight and fit to
eat. You need to get your eye well trained to spot even the slightest
sign of blight on a dirty wet spud but it can be done. You then check
again in the kitchen when preparing them. You also need to keep
checking the bags of stored potatoes - your nose is the best tool for
this. Once you know what a blighted spud smells like, it's a smell you
won't forget and you'll be able to detect a single bad one in a bag.
In that case tip out the whole bag and find the bad one(s), dry or
remove any that have been in close contact with the bad one(s) then
rebag the rest.
iirc there were some medical problems with blighted spuds in WW2, I
think these were mostly in relation to pregnant women but you need to
check the facts - don't rely on my blighted memory.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.