Old 17-09-2004, 08:55 PM
ned

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.206...

snip

But why not? What is the reasoning behind the warning, so I can

understand
the risk?

I have a feeling it has to do with the risk of toxicara canis.

If there is a risk of you wiping your forehead with hands that have
just been immersed in your fresh compost heap - well, yes, I suppose
that there might be a toxicara canis risk. But considering the fact
that we are quite happy to knowingly spread horse, cow, sheep and
'other' assorted dung around, notwithstanding that we blissfully
ignore all the natural bird, rodent, insect, etc. droppings that
happily energise our soil, I feel that the real dangers are somewhat
exaggerated by those with specific revulsions, ie, those that will
happily kick sheep shit around a field yet get screwed up at the very
sight of what might be dog-shit. Tell them its fox droppings or
hedgehog poo and that makes everything fine!

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 17.09.2004