Old 14-09-2004, 12:32 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Bill said:

"Ignoramus2437" wrote in message
I am on a low carb high fat "paleo diet". In the front yard, we have a
concrete retaining wall that is a boundary of our land. Beyond the
retaining wall, 3 feet lower, is a public sidewalk. I rented a monster
tiller recently, and tilled a 24" strip of land immediately adjacent
to the retaining wall. (did a lot of other tilling to plant a lawn
elsewhere).

My desire is to plant some pretty, high fat, low carb, edible plants
that are not grains.

Nuts are things you could grow that contain good fats with omega-3s.
Purslane, a green, is also a source of omega-3s.
Sunflower oil has a pretty good fat profile (still more omega-6 than olive
oil, but less than corn and soybean oil).

Nuts might be the hardest thing to grow at home as you would need space
and would have to fight off the squirrels. Pick a type that suits your climate
(examples, hazelnuts in Oregon, pecans in Georgia, hickory nuts in Indiana).

That's a foolish diet, you may lose weight for a while, but you may also die
from clogged arteries, cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc., before the next
year is up.

The problem is the fat profile of modern domestic animals vs. the wild animals
our ancestors ate. Fat from domestic animals is high in saturated acids. Fat from
wild animals has plenty monosaturated fats and is high in omega-3 fatty acids.
The closest we could come these days to a real 'paleo diet' would be very lean
meats with plenty of olive oil and nuts plus plenty of fatty fish like salmon and
sardines. (Polyunsaturated vegetable fats are high in omega-6 fatty acids, no
real help.) The October issue of Discover touches on this in a feature article titled
'The Inuit Paradox.'

Side comment #1:
Quite alarmingly, this morning's newspaper front page warned of dioxin
contamination if wild game. So even wild game isn't what it used to be.

Side comment #2:
I have kind of a problem with the whole low-carb thing. Limiting high-glycemic
foods is sensible. Avoiding highly processed foods is sensible. Eating a lot
of meat from grain-fed, confined animals and the wrong sorts of fats isn't.
Someone close to me went on the original Atkins diet. He developed kidney
stones and ended up not so much later with inoperable cancer. Soured me
on the concept.

(attributed to Don Marti)