Old 18-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from Klara contains these words:

Being brought up on maize, I like sweetcorn
rather riper than is the taste in this country. It won't get
too ripe to eat as sweetcorn gere, because we don't get enough
sun to ripen it properly.

Don't they say it takes 100 days of sun to ripen corn?

You can get corn bred for cool northern climates to ripen in a

shorter
growing seasons; it's worth searching them out. I've grown it
successfully in west Scotland where a hundred days of sun in one

summer
would be a miracle :-)

What did you do with the ripe mealies? Do you realise that it is only
eaten in the form of samp (English). stampmielies (Afrikaans), or
maize meal porridge? Where in the UK are there mealie meal mills?

Franz