Old 18-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 05:55:08 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

What did you do with the ripe mealies? Do you realise that it is only
eaten in the form of samp (English). stampmielies (Afrikaans), or
maize meal porridge? Where in the UK are there mealie meal mills?

It's used to make cattle feed.

For which it is used at various stages from green and lush up to full
but unripe cobs.

Franz and I know the difference between ripe maize and the dried out
half-ripe maize that is the state it normally reaches in this country.
I don't know how they ripen it enough to collect seed, when breeding
it in the Netherlands, but I expect that the answer is "with care,
and not very successfully in bad years".

As with many of the borderline crops grown in this country, I would
expect the commercial production of the seed to be done in southern
countries for use in northern ones. The southern half of France, or
most places in Spain or Italy, for example.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.