Old 18-09-2004, 12:02 PM
David Rance

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Nick Maclaren wrote:

To David Rance: yes, quite a lot is my tastes. I don't like thin
wines, unless they are weak and for quaffing by the tankard (e.g.
many Austrian ones).

If you're thinking of heuriger wine then they add up to half the volume
with fizzy water (like Römerquelle). I've watched them mixing the
wine/water in Heiligenstadt! But I wouldn't call Welschriesling or
Grüner Veldliner thin.

And I don't like having to choose between
tastelessness and acidity. Also, I prefer red to white, and like
my reds heavy.

Ah, that explains a lot. It isn't possible to grow a good red wine in
England, just as it isn't possible in the Rhine area. My family doesn't
drink a great deal of red because, apart from me, they are allergic. As
for me I'm not as fond of red as I am of white anyway.

But there are good-flavoured English white wines now. The winemaker's
art has improved enormously.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |