Old 18-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Nick Maclaren wrote:

To David Rance: yes, quite a lot is my tastes. I don't like thin
wines, unless they are weak and for quaffing by the tankard (e.g.
many Austrian ones).

If you're thinking of heuriger wine then they add up to half the volume
with fizzy water (like Römerquelle). I've watched them mixing the
wine/water in Heiligenstadt! But I wouldn't call Welschriesling or
Grüner Veldliner thin.

Sometimes. I wasn't referring to that, though. Quite of a lot of
it is, or at least used to be, lightly fermented - rather like Vinho
Verde (which I also like).

And I don't like having to choose between
tastelessness and acidity. Also, I prefer red to white, and like
my reds heavy.

Ah, that explains a lot. It isn't possible to grow a good red wine in
England, just as it isn't possible in the Rhine area. My family doesn't
drink a great deal of red because, apart from me, they are allergic. As
for me I'm not as fond of red as I am of white anyway.

Yes, but that doesn't mean I don't LIKE whites. I do.

But there are good-flavoured English white wines now. The winemaker's
art has improved enormously.

Hmm. I have heard that at least half a dozen times, been suspicious,
checked up, and found no difference. I last tried half a dozen years
back, at the latest Kent vinyard to be lauded to the skies. As I
said, I am prepared to try again, but am disinclined to waste money
and effort unless I have reason to believe that there is at least a
50% chance of the wine being drinkable. I don't ask for it to be
good, or value for money - I am not THAT unrealistic!

So what English wine (preferably at an affordable price) would you
say is NOT thin and either acid or lacking in flavour?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.