Old 18-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Franz Heymann

"cross" wrote in message

Sacha, my SA friend confirms that bush tea is Rooibos (red

bush). I
have tried it but would not drink it from choice.

There are actually two different shrubs commonly used for making "tea"
in SA. Rooibos (Red bush) and Heuningbos (Honey bush). I am an
afficionado of the former. It is strongly astringent and is enjoyed
only after the intending drinker has undergone a suitable induction
period. The correct way to make it is to dedicate a stainless steel
teapot to it in perpetuity. The pot is topped up with water when it
runs dry and with leaves when the tea becomes too weak. It is removed
for cleaning only when it is so clogged with leaves and twigs that it
no longer holds enough water. Just bring the whole caboosh to the
boil when you want a cuppa.

Franz