Old 18-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Phil L

Broadback wrote:
:: Having just spent a boring 50 minutes with a paring knife and a
:: quart of tears I wonder if anyone has any tips for preparing
:: pickling onions. 3lbs done and 3 to do. :-(
::

pickling onions and red cabbage is something I have done in the past, but
not for a while...

peel your onions as normal and lay them out on a large tray, sprinkle salt
over them (lots!) and leave them overnight, the next day pack them into jars
and fill to the top with the vinegar of your choice.

The salt removes some of the water from them, meaning that they soak the
vinegar in quicker...the same applies to red cabbage, chop it up and cover
with salt overnight.

To prevent tears, peel them underwater and drain well before adding the
salt.

HTH