Old 18-09-2004, 07:14 PM
David Rance

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Franz Heymann wrote:

The Germans help their wine by adding sugar in a wet year.

All wine makers do. In France it is called chaptalisation.

No. It is unnecessary in South Africa. The insolation is reliable
enough not to have to interfere with the must. I suspect the same is
true of California and Oz, which is why the wines from those regions
tend to be superior to French and German wines.

Ah well, I was thinking only of Europe! ;-)

David
| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |