Old 18-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from David Rance contains these words:

So what English wine (preferably at an affordable price) would you
say is NOT thin and either acid or lacking in flavour?

Well, the most recent wines I have bought have been local ones from the
Thames Valley Vineyard at Twyford. They do a very nice dry wine called
"Regatta" (!). They also have a sweet wine which they call "Botrytis"
(you'd think they could be a bit more imaginative, wouldn't you?). It's
not bad - 10.5% alcohol and they produce it only when the conditions are
right.

There's an established, though fairly young vinyard near me in South
Norfolk. (The Magdalen one I mentioned is not, I believe in existence
any longer. Peter Cook - not the late P. Cook - sold it, and IIRC, the
person who bought it didn't make a go of it.)

If I remember, I'll buy a bottle and report on it - though to be fair, I
don't like white wines, generally. (I like being hit with a Shiraz
sledgehammer...)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/