Old 18-09-2004, 09:53 PM
Bob Hobden

"Phil L" wrote ...
Broadback wrote:
:: Having just spent a boring 50 minutes with a paring knife and a
:: quart of tears I wonder if anyone has any tips for preparing
:: pickling onions. 3lbs done and 3 to do. :-(
::

pickling onions and red cabbage is something I have done in the past, but
not for a while...

peel your onions as normal and lay them out on a large tray, sprinkle salt
over them (lots!) and leave them overnight, the next day pack them into

jars
and fill to the top with the vinegar of your choice.

Why? Why do you sprinkle salt over them, why do you leave them overnight to
attract bacteria etc?

The salt removes some of the water from them, meaning that they soak the
vinegar in quicker...the same applies to red cabbage, chop it up and cover
with salt overnight.

Don't you wash off the salt? If no, you are not doing your health any good,
if yes what's the point.

Peel, pop into a jar until full, sprinkle the spice in and top up with good
quality vinegar. Easy. No onions lying about, no salt contamination, do as
many jars as you want at a time. Leave for at least 6 weeks before eating
and after a year they are really good.
If you can peel them near an open window when there is a breeze so much the
better.

--
Regards
Bob