Old 19-09-2004, 02:22 AM
Bill

Watcher wrote:

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 06:04:35 GMT, Bill wrote:

sasha wrote:

hey people, can somebody tell me how to get a walnut seed to germinate i
heard something about a dormancy period in the fridge but thats as much
as i know. i have also heard that people sand off some of the shell in
order to get the gerination to happen earlier. Any ideas would be
aprisiated thanks.

Stratification for 90 to 120 days is required for optimum seed germination
but the necessity and duration of stratification may vary by seed source.

Crack the green husk prior to planting.

I've scattered the local black walnuts in my fields and had plenty of
them come up the next spring. Nature seems to do a pretty good job of
stratification and planting them.

That's true, also read that gray squirrels have a germination rate of 7 to 1
over red squirrels.

Something about gray squirrels not remembering where they hid their nuts all
of the time! ;-)

--
The Hawke