Old 18-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Franz Heymann

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 18/9/04 20:25, in article

,
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote:

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

"laura" wrote in message

[snip]

I've always heard that it doesn't matter as the bulbs pull or

push
themselves to the correct depth

Why then do half of my Kaufmannia tulips always lie on top of the

soil
this time of the year?

They're trying to escape from your garden? Or squirrels.

Janet

I hate to add to a possible myth but I do remember an old gardener

telling
me this about tulip bulbs - that they somehow 'work' themselves to

the
surface. And a few months back I read a book written by a woman

making a
garden in France who recommended planting tulip bulbs at least 9"

deep to
get the best results.
Van Tubergen are now selling tulip trays. You fill these circular

trays
with soil and bulbs, plant them and then, when the tulips are

finished, take
them up, still filled with soil and put them somewhere out of sight

to let
the tulip foliage finish.

How about just planting them in ordinary plastic pots and sink them
into the soil?

Franz