Old 19-09-2004, 08:18 AM
MC

Hi,

My Grandmother's old patch of hydrangeas is on the southern side of the
house - mostly shade! And they are superb! I'm no expert, but I'd say they
are hardy little creatures once established! I pruned them back a couple of
months ago and put newspaper, lucerne and straw around them (mixed with
bloody and bone and dynamic lifter), so hopefully they will bloom more than
ever in the coming months. The new shoot are growing back slowly, but they
are the richest shade of green!

Am I right in thinking that summer is when they flower?

Also, what's the trick with dolomite/lime that changes the flower colours?

Anyways, just my two-cents ...
Cheers,
Mick

"Nancy" wrote in message

Thanks for that. The plot that I was going to put it in gets sun for
most of the day (being on the southern fence boundary), so it appears
as though this may be too much. I may just relocate the pot then. I
was of the impression these plants like a lot of sunshine (like
roses).

They do like a little morning sun, but the hot sun will burn the leaves
and the flowers.
cheers
Nancy

--