Old 19-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:08:23 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/9/04 20:25, in article

,
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote:

The message
from "Franz Heymann"

contains
these words:

"laura" wrote in

message

[snip]

I've always heard that it doesn't matter as the bulbs pull or

push
themselves to the correct depth

Why then do half of my Kaufmannia tulips always lie on top of

the
soil
this time of the year?

They're trying to escape from your garden? Or squirrels.

Janet

I hate to add to a possible myth but I do remember an old

gardener
telling
me this about tulip bulbs - that they somehow 'work' themselves

the
surface. And a few months back I read a book written by a woman

making a
garden in France who recommended planting tulip bulbs at least 9"

deep to
get the best results.
Van Tubergen are now selling tulip trays. You fill these

circular
trays
with soil and bulbs, plant them and then, when the tulips are

finished, take
them up, still filled with soil and put them somewhere out of

sight
to let
the tulip foliage finish.

How about just planting them in ordinary plastic pots and sink them
into the soil?

The bowl has a bottom like a sieve to allow the roots to grow

through
see picture
http://www.vantubergen.nl/media/9753.jpg

We've used them. My wife thinks the diameter 30cm is a bit small.

Three for Euro4.90 incl VAT p&p

Hey, they sound like the cat's whiskers.
What is the approximate depth?

I am considering using them for a production line wormery. When the
worms have done one bowlful in, start another one on top. When you
have a stack of three, harvest the bottom one and keep it in readiness
for the next top unit.

Franz