Old 19-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Chet Hayes

"Brandon Herlein" wrote in message ...
What kind of herbicide do you suggest?

"Peter H" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
Brandon Herlein wrote:

My yards has been taken over by weeds. I am thinking of killing it all

off
with Round-up and starting from new. What is the best way, time, etc to
start a new lawn. I live in Iowa.

Try a selective herbicide first. Normally you can wack the weeds a
second time in a couple of weeks. Then twice more in the spring and I'll
bet you're going to have a lawn.

Peter H

Killing the lawn and starting over can be an appropriate solution,
depending on what's there now. If it's mostly weeds and undesirable
grass, that is the best solution. Undesirable grass would include
those that might be too coarse, disease prone, not drought tolerant,
etc.

Now is the time to do it. You can apply Roundup and then use a slice
seeder a week later. I'd make sure you have decent soil, 6-9 inchs,
and if not I'd recommend fixing it before reseeding. Get the best
grass seed for the application you can find. Rather than buying it at
a home center, I'd look online. I got mine from seedland.com, which
has a good selection.