Old 15-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Derek Broughton

rfm wrote:

I have a hand built pond that measures about 7 feet by 3 feet by 1 1/2
feet deep. Each winter I drain, bring in the fish, pumps (fountain and
waterfall) and cover with a tarp to keep the snow off. Then each spring
begin anew.

This year we have a great plant of parrots feather that has exploded in
growth and we would like to winter this over.

Various sites say different solutions to this. I was planning to put
the pot at the bottom of the pond, put in a heater and cover the pond
with a tarp.

Will this work? We never had luck trying to winter plants in doors.

I wouldn't think so. It's going to die back anyway, because it gets no
light, and it's got no tuber to store energy, so I can't see it coming back
in the spring. I have dropped PF to the bottom of a 5 foot pond, where I
know it never froze, and it hasn't survived.

should I leave a pump in to keep water moving?

That would just distribute the heat over a much larger area, and raise your
electricity bill even higher.

It would be great to be able to start off the season with growing Parrot
Feather, but it's a lot cheaper to buy than your electrical bill for
keeping a heater in the pond - and I still doubt the likelihood of success.
--
derek