Old 19-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Bob Hobden

"Franz Heymann" wrote after ...

"Bob Hobden wrote ...

[snip]

Don't you wash off the salt? If no, you are not doing your health

any good,
if yes what's the point.

Peel, pop into a jar until full, sprinkle the spice in and top up

with good
quality vinegar. Easy. No onions lying about, no salt contamination,

True. The salt comntamination has been replaced by acetic acid
contamination.

Two points on that, acetic acid is nowhere near the health risk of too much
salt and to pickle onions everyone uses vinegar anyway, so there is no worse
situation regarding acetic acid with either way of pickling.
We just don't see the point of the salt, commercial companies may use it to
speed maturing but why does a home pickler need to use it, we can leave ours
for as long as it takes, we are not tying up capital.

--
Regards
Bob