Old 20-09-2004, 05:49 AM
Sean Houtman

"Cereus-validus" wrote in
. com:

Welwitschia isn't a tree, but...

An important factor in counting the number of leaves on a tree is
time of year. Since Daniel is posting in fairly decent English,
he is likely in a north temperate area. If he would wait till
some time in December, the easy answer to his question would
often be 'none'. However, a quick scan and guess of the 25 year
old mulberry tree outside my window looks like perhaps about 50
thousand leaves. I would expect that a large Giant redwood would
have several million leaves.

Actually, by definition, Welwitschia is a tree because it has a
single unbranched woody trunk!!!! That it has only two leaves is
besides the point.

Odd definition, most definitions of trees include some means of
distinguishing them from shrubs, generally height. Do you mean to
imply that if a woody plant has branches on the trunk, or more than
one trunk, that it must not be a tree? If so, there aren't very many
species that manage to be trees.

Sean