Old 20-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Tim Challenger

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:14:15 GMT, Phil L wrote:

sw wrote:
:: Over the years I have grown tomatoes and had good success, however
:: I have now been told that they are linked to the arthritic feeling
:: I get in my hands. I stopped eating them and the feeling went
:: away so there must be some truth in the matter. (Mores the pity as
:: I love a freshly picked tomato)
::
This belief stems from a common myth that acid from certain foods will
accumulate in the blood steam and erode the joints. Arthritis is not caused
by eating acidic foods. Very few foods are as acidic as our digestive
juices. Foods termed 'acid foods' (such as tomatoes and oranges) are very
rich in vitamin C, which is beneficial to the immune system, so avoiding
these may do more harm than good.

http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/Fo...hritis_faq.asp

:: Can anyone suggest a crop that I can grow next year that will take
:: up a similar amount of space and be just as nice picked and eaten
:: straight off the plant?
::

the same ones as you're growing now?...seriously, I can't see tomatoes
having any effect upon arthiritis in this way...maybe when you stopped
eating them, you started eating something else which has helped?

There's a brochuree issued by : www.healthychoices.ukhq.co.uk/
Which lists tomatoes as to be avoided. Yet apples (high acid content) and
cider vinegar (!) are recommended.

--
Tim C.