Old 20-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Iris Cohen

If you look at most pictures of Welwitschia, it doesn't look much like a tree.
It looks like the stuff you throw in the garbage after you made the salad.
However, Two thirds of the trunk of a Welwitschia is underground. The two
permanent leaves grow out of the top, and the cones appear between them. Since
it has a permanent woody trunk, I believe it fits the definition of a tree.
Look, it works. Some Welwitschias are 1500 to 2000 years old.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)