Old 20-09-2004, 04:11 PM
LouF

On 19 Sep 2004 23:09:54 GMT, (AJCarroll1019)
wrote:

Hello.I've tried airlayering many times in the past with very little (almost
none) success. But recently i picked up an old houseplant book and i saw
another method of airlayering in which the author cut a slit upwards into the
tree (about halfway into the trunk) as opposed to removing part of the bark. He
then slid a toothpick in to hold the cut open. Has anyone tried this method and
is it anymore efective.
thanks,
Aaron

I have been air layeing in this manner for over 20 years with my Ming
Aralias (Polyscias fruticosa) You make the upward slice between the
nodes (be careful not to cut too far through the stem but you need to
cut far enough so it can't just reheal) , insert a toothpick, dust
well with rooting hormone, then wrap a moist ball of sphagnum peat
around the wound and wrap that with polyethylene tied top and bottom
with tie wraps or twist ties. Depending on the plant, roots will
eventually (can take weeks or more) begin to form and you will see
them through the plastic. I use a small syringe to inject water when
the moss dries out, otherwise I just leave it alone tilll I see roots.
At this point, cut the stem off below the root ball and pot the plant.
Done

hope this helps