Old 20-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Kay

In article 414eb9db$0$24407$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au, Fran writes
"David Hill" wrote in message
Fran wrote "I have water repellent soil due to drought conditions and

am
tempted to use a surfactant to help get water down deep into the soil. "

Why not just use washing up liquid, It is a negative ion wetting agent.

But will detergent kill or harm worms?

My major concern about any sort of wetting agent is wheterh they will do
damage to micro fauna and specifically worms in the soil. I've had no luck
doing a google search and the local gardening gurus in the media don't seem
to be able to answer this question.

If your soil is that dry I am surprised you have any worms.

But the resident oligochaetologist says that there will be earthworm
coccoons, and you'll damage those, along with most of the rest of the
invertebrates.

Breaking up the soil surface is your best bet (pick axe?)

--
Kay