Old 21-09-2004, 12:51 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Jerry Donovan" wrote in message
So far, I have been very fortunate with the inside plants during
the winter. The water hyacinth, tropical lilies, and parrot's
feather have all done well inside. About every other month during
the winter, I have removed about a third of my WH and put them
in the compost pile.Last year my water lettuce all died, but they
have survived in the past.

$$ I discovered that these plants don't do well in stagnant or still water.
A small bubbler in the tank or tub with them helps keep them alive over the
winter. They wont rot.

I have moved some parrot's feather inside as well. That stuff
grows like weeds in the warm sunny windows. Last year I also
left some outside below the surface, and I think it survived as
well, but I can't remember for sure. Either way, I ended up
pitching a lot of it out in the spring since the inside stuff did
so well.

$$ My parrots feather lives over the winter here in zone 6 (TN).

At that time, I trim back the rest of the water lilies and other
plants, making sure that they are all fully submerged.

$$ I haven't found submerging them to help any. The hardy ones will live
over in either case.

--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"They laugh because I'm different, I laugh because they're all the same."