Old 21-09-2004, 01:19 AM
Pam - gardengal

"swim learning" wrote in message
om...
(Marley1372) wrote in message

Thats definitley a green ash, Fraxinus americana. There are only a

handful of
trees that grow in your area that have opposite leaves, and the fruit is

a dead
giveaway.

Toad

From what little I know:

Fraxinus Americana is White Ash. Green Ash is Fraxinus Pennsylvanica.

Nevertheless, while the Ash has opposite leaf-pairs, adjacent
alternate leaf-pairs are not perpendicular to each other. The ash
leaf-pairs are all in the same plane. In my photos you may be able to
notice that adjacent pairs of leaves twisted on the twig by 90
degrees.

Can you show me some online images of the leaves that show the leaves
the way I have described them? Or please point me to a book.

I think you are both pretty close. I, too, believe it is an ash, most
likely Fraxinus oxycarpa (or F. angustifolia ssp. oxycarpa, if you prefer)
if the leaf pairs are whorled. I agree with Toad - the fruit is hard to
argue with.

pam - gardengal