Old 17-09-2004, 04:53 AM
Steve

J Fortuna wrote:
How can one tell whether a Paph is starting a new spike or growing a new
leaf?........................................

Joanna, I have a suggestion that may or may not help. I have a Paph
callosum that I have bloomed a dozen times at least. I can always tell
when that one is getting ready to bloom. Paphs always grow their leaves
in alternating directions. You know, left-right-left-right. When I look
down into that callosum and it appears that it is going to grow 2
consecutive leaves in the same direction, that's a flower bud every time.
I have other Paphs that I have bloomed once or twice so far. Some of
those are harder to tell. Sometimes the bud is symmetrical so that it
doesn't seem to curve either left or right.
I don't yet have a malipoense so I can't say how it behaves. Look at
that spike/new leaf. If If it has a curve that looks like it would go
the same direction as the last leaf, then I would bet it isn't just a
leaf. If the shape looks like a leaf that will go off in the opposite
direction, then it probably IS a leaf. If you can't tell, hope for the
best and, (dare I say it?) be patient. :-)

Steve