Old 21-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Des Higgins

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 20/9/04 18:30, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

It's mullein, a wild cousin of Verbascum.

Oi!!! Don't belittle the wild flora!!! ;-)
It *is* Verbascum, Verbascum thapsus, just as much a Verbascum as those
species and hybrids that are sought out by gardeners :-)

(That, I suppose is the disadvantage of using the botanical name - one
gets so used to using it for the garden species that one forgets the
wild species have an equal right to it)

Belittle? BELITTLE???? Certainly not, ma'am. I love it! But I think you
must admit that it's more commonly known as mullein.

Ehhh both names are correct surely.
Whenever I see these, either the wild ones or the garden varieties, I always
say Verbascum as I cannot remember the vernacular name.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk