Old 17-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Jim Lewis

My best guess (and it's just that, a guess. No one will check; "just
re-plant") is a root related fungus. I'm trying liquid copper as a
treatment, but haven't been doing it long enough to have any confidence in
the results. Your e-mail doesn't indicate a location, but I assume S.E.
U.S. You may have enough time to try a total re-pot with a root treatment.

Since you are the first one I've run across who is concerned about this
problem, keep me informed about your progress. Maybe we can lick this.

Yes. Root rot. Don't bother trying to treat root rot. There
isn't one.

Your soil probably is too heavy and contains too many organics.
In "nature" Yaupon holly grows in almost sterile, fine sandy
soil. It often grows where the soil floods periodically, but it
then drains quickly and becomes dry again in a day or two.

It's hard to keep the right balance in a bonsai pot. I've lost
some nice ones. I'm growing mine in 100% Turface (Mule Mix)
now, and that seems to be doing OK, though one I'm growing as a
saikei in a very flat, shallow pot still seems to stay too wet.
The tree is doing OK, though.

So, very fast-draining soil and don't overwater. See if that
works.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++