Old 15-09-2004, 02:49 PM
Rob Halgren

J. Del Col wrote:

"wendy7" wrote in message news:v7D1d.38200$9Y5.24489@fed1read02...

I heard that Kelthane works! Especially made for spidermites.
Male & female flowers? I would be happy with either!*G*

Kelthane should --not-- be used indoors.

I second that... Smells terrible too, plus I don't think you can
buy it anymore, anyway. Avid (abimectin) is supposed to be good,
although maybe not indoors. Dormant (horticultural) oil is good too,
and puts a nice shine on your leaves. I'd start with the oil and work my
way up. Speaking of random pesticide information, I stumbled across
this website http://www.plantprod.com/catalogue/1...ecticides.html

You can put a serious dent in your spidermite population by hosing
down the foliage once a week or so (use a lot of water, and concentrate
on the back of the leaves), and getting your humidity up, way up. 80%
is a good target.

Some other options that don't involve pesticides - predatory
insects. Here is the first one I came across with google:
http://www.sgs-hydroponic.com/produc...ls.php?id=1250 (I've done
business with SGS many times, and they are good)
Green Lacewings supposedly eat spidermites, and there are at least half
a dozen species available for mite control. Some have the added
advantage of eating other pests (like mealybugs or aphids).

I'm still learning to cope with the little buggers, since I love
catasetums and cycnoches. I have to pick the ones that the mites like
too... You'd think I'd be smarter than little insects, but no, not me.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )