Old 22-09-2004, 07:43 AM
Philip Hart

Jim Webster wrote in message

"John Morgan" wrote in message

Jim Webster wrote in message

[...]
If the state wishes to preserve these obsolete practices

then
obviously the state should pay for their preservation

Spot on, Jim. We_should_, indeed we must, pay farmers for

good
stewardship, raising some of the money in the form of fines
levied on those who practise bad stewardship. As I'm sure

you're
aware, it's not your land you are farming, it belongs to your
children and mine.

I've got my cheque book ready! How much do you need?

none, just arrange for food to be sold at an economic price.

You can then
pay benefit to those who cannot afford food.

I've already tried that. They used the money to make more
children, who then, out of desperation, felled all the forest on
the mountains above their town and got drowned in this week's
flood.

But remember for every quango that tells me this is good

stewardship,
another ngo wanders by and wants me to stop it immediately

because it is bad.

That's because they are making decisions without talking to the
people on the ground. I do not envisage decisions on methods of
stewardship being implimented without lengthy discussion right
across the board.

so I do what my ancestors have done, we just ignore them all

because by the
time you can change to do what they tell you, they'll be

telling you to do
something different.

Can't say I blame you.