Old 22-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Fran wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
Kay writes:

| Breaking up the soil surface is your best bet (pick axe?)

An African hoe. They are made like that for a reason.

The only African hoe that I can bring to mind is the very broad faced one
that Africans also use to carry/move earth on. A bit like a very short,
wide hoe is the best description I can manage.

If this is the beasty you have in mind then it wouldn't suit here but
certainly would on more powdery soil. My soil looks and acts like a
concrete forecourt at an old local petrol station. Somewhat crumbly in
spots but lots of force needed to break it up.

Think of a lightweight mattock.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.