Old 22-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:15:01 +0100, newsb wrote:

That's picking, not pickling. A friend has had their walnut tree
produce a large crop this year - the first time it has fruited. Does
anyone know when they are best harvested? Do they ripen into tasty nuts
in the UK? (They tried one fairly recently and apparently it was
horrible/bitter).

About now is the time the ripen in central Europe (I use the Oktoberfest as
a good guide :-) ), but I find they tend to taste better when stored for a
month or two.
Use gloves when de-husking them, or your fingers'll turn black.

--
Tim C.