Old 20-09-2004, 11:26 PM
HA HA Budys Here

From: Crashj

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:49:05 GMT, GdeStOmar wrote:

I have made a small pond for a turtle. I'm wondering if anyone has a
technique for connecting electricity in the outdoors.

For now my concern is adding a heater to the pond to get it warm enough
for the winter/nights.

You need professional help. I am not being rude, I hope, it is just
that the answers to your questions are ones that an electrician would
automatically deal with. There are codes and standards for these
things. Electricity is also not really complicated once you understand
that. I will guess you are in the USA? Other nations vary wildly.
If you want an outlet near the pond to connect various devices you
will want a ground fault interrupter circuit. You connect a circuit
from your main breaker box to a circuit run underground to an outlet
box near the pond. The duplex outlet in this box must be a GFI type,
unless the breaker in the main is a GFI breaker. The outlet device is
cheaper.
Often you will see outside outlets with a metal flip over cover. These
are inadequate for our needs. What you want is a clear plastic shield
made for a metal connecting box. This has openings in the bottom for
the cords to come out. It covers the outlet and cord completely. Any
of you who have outdoor receptacles should look into this cover.

This plastic cover is called a "code keeper" and is now required on all outdoor
outlets exposed to the weather. Exposed to the weather means, not in a
sheltered area like in the ceiling of a porch 4' behind the roof gutter. Any
chance or possibility of the outlet getting wet is exposed and needs this
cover.

If the power lead runs across the yard and underground it needs to be
in metal conduit so you [or the next owner] can't go through it with a
shovel.

If the metal conduit is ridgid pipe, it can be 6" in the ground. If it's
plastic pipe or type UF cable it has to be 12" in the ground.

The outlet must be located within 20', but no closer than 10' of the water's
edge. This is covered under the pools, ponds and ornamental fountains code,
however,, except for pools I've never seen the 10-20' location scrutinized.

There are local codes which must be met or your insurance is void,
hence the warning about needing a professional.
Now about the turtle . . .
"Not a professional electrician, but I know several"
--
Crashj