Old 22-09-2004, 03:18 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
However, the last time I was in the Royal Botanical Garden in Hamilton,

which is on the way to Toronto, they had one. They even had an olive tree.

* * *
Yes, olive trees are trees.

* * *

As I mentioned before, the reason Welwitschia doesn't look like a tree is

that much of its trunk is underground.

* * *
That might sound better if it actually had a trunk

* * *

It is a member of the order Gnetales, which may be changed to a

subdivision.

* * *
Gnetales by definition is an order (ending -ales).
The rank of a taxon with only three genera does not seem a very interesting
topic.

***
It is related to Gnetum & Ephedra. They are peculiar plants somewhere
between the angiosperms and gymnosperms, but closer to the conifers.

* * *

No. Welwitschia, Ephedra and Gnetum are Gymnosperms. Have been just about
forever. Conifers are another group of Gymnosperms.
PvR