Old 22-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Cereus-validus

Affinities of other living Gnetales to Welwitschia do not help understand
the genus at all because they too are highly specialized in their mode of
growth. Ephedra are coralliform shrubs while Gnetum are woody lianas.

Welwitschia has a single woody stem arising from a deep taproot. The
flowering crown is raised well above the ground level on a woody trunk. It
most definitely is a tree.

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
Welwitschia is indeed a tree in the botanical sense of the word. Have

you
ever seen one in your reality?
They don't grow wild in Toronto.

However, the last time I was in the Royal Botanical Garden in Hamilton,

which
is on the way to Toronto, they had one. They even had an olive tree.
As I mentioned before, the reason Welwitschia doesn't look like a tree is

that
much of its trunk is underground. It is a member of the order Gnetales,

which
may be changed to a subdivision. It is related to Gnetum & Ephedra. They

are
peculiar plants somewhere between the angiosperms and gymnosperms, but

closer
to the conifers.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40