Old 22-09-2004, 06:03 PM
paghat

In article , "S. M.
Henning" wrote:

(HoudiniMan) wrote:

http://houdini.till-morning.net/tjcoolplant.jpg

It looks like an orange tiger lily (Lilium lancifolium). Some do grow
5' tall. People claim to have seen some 9' tall.

Paghat has a photo at: http://www.paghat.com/tigerlily.html

They look very similar but Asian varieties were not available in
Jefferson's day so are not grown at Monticello. The American Turk's-cap is
much taller than the tiger lily but otherwise so similar & so beautiful
that one wonders how or why our wonderful native lily was displaced from
American gardening when the tiger lily arrived. I don't have a webpage for
the American turk's-cap yet because mine are too young to have bloomed
yet, but someday when I have good photos of this lily in my own garden,
I'll put up the article I've already researched for it.

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"