Old 22-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Doug Kanter

"Bob S." wrote in message
om...
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Many years ago, when I was digging my first vegetable garden, I rented a
rototiller to remove the lawn and ended up regretting it. The machine
inverted clumps of grass which still had to be overturned by hand in

order
shake off the useful soil. If (in a fantasy world), it had NEATLY

overturned
them exactly 180 degrees so the grass simply died, that would've been

great,
but it was a fairly random mess. I ended up finishing the thing by hand,
which wasn't TOO awful, since I'd just bought a really nice spade &

fork.

At my new house, I'm about to create another vegetable garden. Again, I

have
excellent tools, but I'm wondering about renting a tiller, since I'm

dealing
with a 20x40 foot area. However, I'd like to avoid the same mess. Was

the
previous fiasco due to the type of tiller, the way I used it, the

position
of the moon, or what? Combination of all factors?

Kill the grass first, then till it in. Use Roundup at double the
recommended rate, wait 2 weeks, then till it. Roundup will not affect
next years garden crop, nor you.

Bob

Where did you get the idea that Roundup was safe to use on a vegetable
garden, no matter HOW far in advance of the actual growing season?