Old 22-09-2004, 10:20 PM
mel turner

"I" wrote in message
"swim learning" wrote in message
om...
(swim learning) wrote in message

. com...
Please identify the tree whose eight photos, taken in September, are
shown he http://myturl.com/0015j

If the web-page is not accessible, please go to:
http://photos.yahoo.com/shahswim

[snip]
The fruits in your photo very clearly seem to be those of an ash
[genus Fraxinus], but nearly all ashes have compound leaves divided
into leaflets.

Your tree, on the other hand, seems to have simple, toothed leaves.
I'd thought that the only simple-leaved ash species was _Fraxinus
anomala_ from the southwest, but its foliage appears rather different
from yours:

http://www.suu.edu/faculty/martin/as...leleafash.html

However,
http://ohioline.osu.edu/b700/b700_63.html

says that one commonly cultivated form of _Fraxinus excelsior_
[European Ash] has simple leaves. That's my best guess as to the
identity of your mystery tree.

That guess seems to be correct.

See
http://horticulture.missouri.edu/sta...2/frax_exc.htm

for a seeming very close match of your plant in
_Fraxinus excelsior "Hessei"

cheers