Old 22-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Cat
writes
Is it OK to compost *small* amounts of turf/timber ashes?
We have the occasional week end small fires in the fireplace and/or
stove as the temperatures fall... and it's always a bummer dealing
with the ashes that are produced. We only burn turf (briquettes or
natural sods) and wood.
Waddayareckon?

Provided the wood wasn't treated with greenish chrome copper arsenate
wood preservative then wood ash is good stuff. The potash is very water
soluble and rather alkaline. You would get better value from scattering
it under your fruit trees and bushes than by composting it at this time
of year.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown