Old 23-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Iris Cohen

Not that you would recognise a tree from reading their description of
Welwitschia mirabilis.

OK. I have given several reasons why Welwitschia is a tree:
1. It is a conifer, in a group where almost all its relatives are trees.
2. It has a single definite woody trunk.
3. It has leaves coming out of the top.
4. It is a perennial.

Incidentally, besides pictures, I have met them personally.
Now tell me why Welwitschia is *not* a tree.

Reading a description of Welwitschia by a German botanist I don't sense any
laughter

German botanists don't count. Do any of them have a sense of humor? (I know one
personally, although he was born in Belgium.)
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)