Old 23-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Jim Lewis

On 23 Sep 2004 at 21:04, Andrew G wrote:

About 2 months ago I root pruned it, top pruned it. We don't get snow here,
and didn't even get a frost since then.
The buds have swollen, but the largest ones seemed to turn to dust,
literally. They went like a furry ball. Not a furry as in a growth on them,
but rather the surface of the bud turning to a "velour feel and look".
Smaller buds still look alive and fine. Scratching back bark from any part
of the tree, including fine twigs reveals green.
After reading and learning more on bonsai, this is the first year I have
taken care to root prune at the right time, the others was simply when I
felt like it using a spade to cut through the rootball, as they were in
large training pots.

Maybe too much root taken off? Maybe too much root and top work
at same time? Tho it flies in the face of ALL the advice you
receive (people and books), you do not need to "balance" bottom
work with top work. In fact, if you cut the top heavily, you
NEED roots to promote growth; if you cut too many roots, the
chopped-off top won't rejuvenate as well. Doing both worsens
the effect.

And, "2 months ago" sounds a bit early to me. I generally do
deciduous trees WHILE the buds are swelling.

But I'd guess your tree will survive, tho it may be a bit
retarded this year. Hold off on the water. A leafless tree
uses very little water. As leaves appear, you can water more,
but still let the soil go _almost_ dry before watering.
Fertilizing won't hurt at this time. Once every 2 weeks.
Follow instructions on label.

If you can scrape an inch or so of soil off the top without
hurting new roots, you might want to top dress with a loose soil
containing finely chopped-up FRESH sphagnum moss to promote
rooting.

snip

Other deciduous including an English Elm (I think) and Liquidamber have new
growth on them, all are in same environment. Also all deciduous trees in the
area have new growth.

Immaterial. Yard trees will almost always leaf out before
potted trees, and different species show leaves at different
times. It doesn't happen on day 2 of spring. ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++