Old 23-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Treetops

Default Red Lily Beatle

My asiatic and oriental lily bed (about 25 plants) is now 3-4 years old =
and did extremely well until this year when it got hit by red lily =
beatles. I kept them reasonably under control by picking off the beatles =
and larva pods but the plants did suffer and the leaves seemed to have =
turned brown earlier than usual.
I intend to put all the stalks in the trash but suspect the larva will =
overwinter in the soil.
=20
I have three questions:
1. Is there any treatment for the soil to prevent overwintering of the =
larva?
2. What should I be doing next spring and summer to get rid of these =
pests?
3. The bed is becoming overcrowded so I want to thin them and also start =
a 2nd bed with the left overs. What is the proper way to do this? Should =
it be done in the fall before freeze-up or can I wait till spring? I =
prefer the spring as my 2nd bed will not be ready until then.
=20
I am in zone 4b.
Thank you.