Old 23-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Bob S.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
"Bob S." wrote in message
om...

Kill the grass first, then till it in. Use Roundup at double the
recommended rate, wait 2 weeks, then till it. Roundup will not affect
next years garden crop, nor you.

Bob

Where did you get the idea that Roundup was safe to use on a vegetable
garden, no matter HOW far in advance of the actual growing season?

An age old argument. Roundup works *only* by absorbtion through plant
leaves and interfering with the life cycle of the plant that absorbed
it. It does *not* reside in the soil and even if it did, cannot be
absorbed through the root system. Ergo, no risk to subsequent planting
next spring.
If you read application data, there is one rate for grasses and
another rate for hardier plants. If the max rate is not exceeded, it
is not illegal us use as I suggested. And the only reason I suggested
that in the first place was that the OP stated he was under time
constraints.
I know organic gardeners despise all chemicals. But there are times
when the work required by not using them far exceeds the benefit.
And I keep going back to toxicity. The standard by which all other is
measured is table salt - very high up the toxic chart, yet commonly
used.

Bob S.