Old 23-09-2004, 09:42 PM
K Barrett

"Dave Sheehy" wrote in message
K Barrett ) wrote:
: I've been surprised to find that people consider vandas difficult to

grow in
: California. Something about the heat or lack thereof. Well, I'm sure
: people in San Diego will be happy to find out its not hot there.... And

: have friends here who grow vandas - not ascoscendas - very well indeed.

They
: do have to heat their greenhouses no less than 60 and maybe becasue the
: vandas are hung closer to the rafters its hotter up there.

I live in the Sacramento Valley and I have a Vanda on my window sill

that's
bloomed for many years running. Alan Koch, whose green house is about 10

miles
from here, has a couple of monster Vandas that are just to die for. The
Sacramento Orchid show in the spring always has a good selection of Vandas
in it as well.

Dave

Exactly!!! That's why I was so amazed to read (I know it was Ned Nash who
wrote it but can't recall if it was in Orchid Digest or Orchids) that it was
almost 'common knowledge' that vandas didn't do well in California. Hence
the lack of hybridizers here, I suppose. Maybe vandas are spectacular in
Florida, becasue they are pretty good here....

K Barrett