Old 23-09-2004, 06:18 PM
kiticat

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

Or put it straight onto the garden. Wood ash is a good fertiliser.

Which plants would especially like it?

Fruit trees, gooseberries, blackcurrants, strawberries, or flowering
plants like roses. It's slightly alkaline so don't waste it on
acid-lovers like rhododendron or blueberries. Slugs hate crawling on
woodash so it's worth storing some dry until you plant out seedling
lettuces or cabbages and scattering it on the soil surface around the
plants.My grandfather used to dust potatoes with woodash before
planting.

Janet.

oh good - my apples trees will appreciate it. Thankyou
Sarah