Old 23-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Frank Logullo

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
it's not that you are endangering the animal you relocate,
it's that you are endangering *all* the animals in the area
you relocate an animal *to*. while the wildlife population in
your area may be resistant to certain diseases, that may not
be true of animals in the area you move the animal to, hence
spread of disease.
the best thing to do with an animal that is causing you
trouble is just kill it & get it over with. you aren't doing
it or any other animal a kindness by 'relocating'.
besides, what makes you think anyone else wants *your*
problem? if it's destroying your property, why take it
elsewhere to ruin someone else's property?
lee

Killing is certainly an option but not for me, viz my wife objects. I do
have a neighbor that catches groundhogs in his Hav-a-hart and drowns them.
Cage trap is preferred over leg trap which can result in free, crippled
animal. Shooting is usually legal but not here as you must be 200 yds from
occupied dwelling. Trap and release is legal here but not everywhere. I
doubt the disease argument because we're only relocating a few miles away.
Animals do have their ranges. Only one I know is whitetail deer, which I
hunt, and they spend their lives within about a square mile. In my
experience, groundhogs stay close to home but I'm not sure about the others.
Frank