Old 24-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Derek Broughton

Bill Stock wrote:

"Grandpa" wrote in message
I started my first pond and live in Canada. The leaves are dropping fast
and soon it will be well below freezing. My pond is about 1.5 meters

deep,
but that will freeze solid by mid November here. I have a 75 gallon tank
which I hope will hold my first year fish consisting of 3 gold fish and 1
koi.

November? You must be in Edmonton,

_Even_ in Edmonton, 1.5 meters should be enough to not freeze solid. Though
it would be darn hard to keep a hole open through the winter, there.

I think you really need to tell us a lot more about your pond. How large is
the pond, and how big are the fish?

I bought a 55 gallon last year to bring my GF inside to watch. While I was
trying to find some pure ammonia to do a fishless cycle, the Blue Heron
paid us a visit. So we filled the aquarium with pond water and did an
emergency move.

I can't imagine doing it any other way. Why bother to cycle an aquarium
when you have exactly the sort of water they're used to. Fill it with
water, some plants that you might expect to survive indoors (where they'll
get much less light than they're used to) and maybe a few rocks from the
pond, and they should be fine - assuming it's big enough for your koi.

BTW, I've heard that Koi need about 100 gallons per fish, but I guess it
depends on it's size.

Exactly. Besides which, we figure 100 gallons in a pond, but an aquarium is
usually more carefully maintained.
--
derek